Knights of the Gaming Table
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming Clubs Forums- Fort Collins and Westminster, CO

HomeHome  KoGT BlogKoGT Blog  DemoCorps BlogDemoCorps Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Newest Bloodbowl rules.
How do you fight life magic? Emptyby CrimsonWraith Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 pm

» Who wants to play Relic Knights?
How do you fight life magic? Emptyby CrimsonWraith Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 pm

» Assets - useful DzC links
How do you fight life magic? Emptyby CrimsonWraith Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 pm

» Fort Collins - Dropzone Commander Grow League Nov 2014
How do you fight life magic? Emptyby CrimsonWraith Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

» A new game and new stock!
How do you fight life magic? Emptyby CrimsonWraith Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 pm

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

How do you fight life magic?

Go down 
+3
TheGreatMaw
DoeDoe12
CrimsonWraith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

How do you fight life magic? Empty
PostSubject: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 pm

So, played a game using the new army book for Tomb Kings, and I have no idea how it plays. I just didn't get there. First turn, my opponent's Teclis used Dwellers on my large archer unit with my Hierophant, Khalida, another Liche Priest, and 36 archers. Both my Hiero and Khalida died, along with 19 archers. Wasn't even irresistible. Khalid's curse di manage to kill Teclis in return, but the damage was more than done.
So how does everyone fight the dreaded Dwellers? What works what doesn't? General or army specific, I am just looking for a chink.
Back to top Go down
http://crimsonwraith.blogspot.com
DoeDoe12
Knight
Knight
DoeDoe12

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:45 pm

well high elves r really powerfull with magic and if they have teclis. u need to fly a necrophix into him and direct all attacks and kill him he has no save plus i belive it will be a fair trade Laughing
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:48 pm

That's an idea, 'cept he hit me first turn before I could do anything.
Back to top Go down
DoeDoe12
Knight
Knight
DoeDoe12

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 pm

does that spell have a range
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:11 am

Yes. 12" or 24" if cast at the higher value.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatMaw
Plebe
Plebe

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:22 am

I have the same problem with Ogres and Pit of Shades/Purple Sun of Lulz.

I'm not sure what items Tomb Kings have, but one way around first turn shenanigans is to make them AFRAID to cast spells that turn. I tend to run a Hellheart for that case. Also, close the distance as QUICKLY as possible, kill the wizard quick as DoeDoe said.

But yes, tests or remove from play are probably the worst thing GW has come up with Sad

At least your skele's aren't 3 wounds and 43 points at the least >.<
Back to top Go down
DoeDoe12
Knight
Knight
DoeDoe12

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:51 am

see its 24 in so the necro also has fly ability as well so most likely there will only be one mean castere so take care of him and u will be fine i promise Cool
Back to top Go down
DoeDoe12
Knight
Knight
DoeDoe12

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:53 am

and remember never chanllenge just direct ur attacks at him
Back to top Go down
Dark Brotherhood
Admin
SUPREME PIMPEROR
AdminSUPREME PIMPEROR
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:50 am

DoeDoe, the problem is that turn one Magic Phase on a roll of Double "2", Teclis is dumping 6 Dice into Dwellers. Army eated turn one. Turn freaking one. Turn one. Dwellers is trash. Yeah CW, I think a prohibitive magic item is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
http://squintsquadpainters.blogspot.com
Dark Brotherhood
Admin
SUPREME PIMPEROR
AdminSUPREME PIMPEROR
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:56 am

Scroll of Shielding is really good for spells cast with irresistible force. Doesn't dispel, because you can't, instead giving the target of the spell a 4+ ward save.
Back to top Go down
http://squintsquadpainters.blogspot.com
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Couple things:
Necrosphinx's max charge range is 22". The spell is 24", and he doesn't need to be within 24" of the Sphinx to hit my Heiro.
As for the ward, Dwellers ignores ward saves including magic resist. Also, I don't think you can use "instead of dispelling" items when you can't dispel.
Back to top Go down
Slammer
Knight
Knight
Slammer

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:54 pm

the way to beat it is to be ready for it take magic items to help combat what the lore can do and to try to only have one character in each squad so dwellers does not have clear targets
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 11:00 am

Id say dont start 12 inches forward with your key unit. Put it on your back line so it takes more then one turn to get to you. Also building some good magic defence is a strong path like what darkbrotherhood was saying.
Back to top Go down
http://htdemocorps.blogspot.com
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

The problem is, I have 1 key target in the entire army.

When he is in a unit of 36 archers that need to be within 24", its kinda rough as well.

I am totally revamping my list anyway, so what I used to do doesn't have much relevance now, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Everytime they change a codex it means you cant play the same list you used to thats kinda par for the course.
The thing im having a hard time with is that you know the lore they are going to pick before you even set your armys up. So if they have spells you know are going to give you truble with a wizard that is fully capable of getting those spells off then you should be prepared to change your tackt before you even deploy. The main question you posed was how do you deal with lore of life. And i still say deploy farther back for the first turn. Tomb king archers do not suffer from moving and shooting so its not that big of a deal if you start farther back as you can move cast your move spell and then shoot. And it prevents the turn one own you in the face spell.

As far as a turn 2 own you in the face spell you can do what doedoe sugested as you will have had more time to get your Necrosphinx in range for a charge or chariots or what have you. And again most metas have some strong magic in them so building a solid magic defence is going to be everyones concern for any list. Also no spell in the game ignores magic resistance you should always get that save unless im reading the magic resistance rules wrong and there are a few good cheap magic resistance items in the main book you can use.

Not sure that helps and its just the way i would play it there are definatly more ways to do it then that. If you look at this mounths white dwarf you can see they put the archers behind the two units of warriors for turn one as he was counting on having the move from the spell to help him get LoS. Now it did not work out for him but he admits he should have try to force more dice into that critical spell. But it also keep him safe turn one as the High elves did not have there own LoS to his herophant.
Back to top Go down
GodsChosenOne
Initiate
Initiate
GodsChosenOne

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:52 am

I face the same problem with demons. Lore of light has that special thing that hurts undead and demons more then anything eles. What they did for Demons is they have a magic item for just that lore. I havent seen the book yet, but you should check it to see if you got anything that helps against that lore.
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

There isent they nerfed the magic items in all the 8th ed stuff and as a result your mainly picking stuff from the main warhammer book.
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Actually, it is how do YOU fight life magic, just an idle speculation thread.

Magic resist gives bonus to your ward save. Only ~11 of the 56 spells in the book allow ward saves. MR is useless in this edition. If I move my archer back, they just insta kill my screaming skull catapults and casket, even on the back edge they are 4" or 5" on.

The problem with anti magic is it can't stop irresistible force. And 6 dice into a spell or power scrolls aren't exactly rare events.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you fight life magic?   How do you fight life magic? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you fight life magic?
Page 1 of 1