Knights of the Gaming Table
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming Clubs Forums- Fort Collins and Westminster, CO

HomeHome  KoGT BlogKoGT Blog  DemoCorps BlogDemoCorps Blog  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Newest Bloodbowl rules.
Longshanks' Workbench Emptyby CrimsonWraith Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 pm

» Who wants to play Relic Knights?
Longshanks' Workbench Emptyby CrimsonWraith Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 pm

» Assets - useful DzC links
Longshanks' Workbench Emptyby CrimsonWraith Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 pm

» Fort Collins - Dropzone Commander Grow League Nov 2014
Longshanks' Workbench Emptyby CrimsonWraith Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

» A new game and new stock!
Longshanks' Workbench Emptyby CrimsonWraith Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:11 pm

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Longshanks' Workbench

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

Longshanks' Workbench Empty
PostSubject: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I am brand new to these forums, and still very new to Ogre Kingdoms and Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Well, I haven't even finished assembling my first 1000 points, yet. Very Happy But I thought I would start a PLOG of my progress to share my conversions with others who want to do something similar and hopefully inspire a few as I make progress on my army. I am dealing with cancer, so it's a bit slow going for me, but I should have 1000 points soon.

I thought I would start off with two conversions, my Slaughtermaster and Firebelly. Just this morning I finished the greenstuff on my Slaughtermaster, so here is a pic of him:

Longshanks' Workbench SMGreenstuff800Height

The body is from a Paymaster Maneater, the head is from the Stonehorn box, the right arm from the Ogres box, and the Chinese cleaver is the simplest bit of platicarding you have ever seen. Very Happy Overall, I am very happy with him. I didn't care for the gory, brutal looking SlaughterMaster that GW makes, so I made something a little bit more civilized. The fluff for my Ogre Kingdom is that they originated in a small city on the far western edge of the Ogre homeland. They were one of the least effected areas by the Great Maw comet, but were quickly overwhelmed with refugees. Their resources were quickly devoured and they began the trek west with the rest of the Ogre Kingdoms. They were were able to take with them a few more things than those worse effected by the comet and were thereby able to hold on to some of the old ways. Over the centuries that passed, most of the Ravenous Horde became no different than its neighboring Ogre kingdoms, but the king's family and advisors managed to hold onto a bit of learning that was passed down from generation to generation. Not only are they said to own books, but some of the tribe can even read them!

Here is a picture of my Firebelly:

Longshanks' Workbench FBGreenstuff800Height

The body is a Firebelly's body, the head is a Mournfang Crusher's, and the left arm was the one originally holding the arrow from the Stonehorn. I am happy with him, too. A friend of mine says that he looks like an old rocker. Cool

I also have a bunch of Ironguts and Sabertusks, but they are just grey plastic, so nothing too interesting to show you there. I will post more pics as I build more units and start painting them. I hope you enjoy my PLOG.
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Jay these are Top Notch. Seriously nice work. I can not wait to see them painted and on the table. Please keep posting pics of this army's progress. It makes me want to spend alot more time with each of my empire guys then I have been.

Two thumbs up so far man!

-Edward

Back to top Go down
http://htdemocorps.blogspot.com
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks Edward! I spent a few hours today working on my MournFangs, so more is coming!
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice! I really like the slaughtermaster, but the cleaver looks a bit plain compared to the rest of the model. Have you thought about adding the hole in the corner? Also, a couple notches for flavor(not sure how clean you want them)
Back to top Go down
http://crimsonwraith.blogspot.com
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:22 pm

CrimsonWraith wrote:
Nice! I really like the slaughtermaster, but the cleaver looks a bit plain compared to the rest of the model. Have you thought about adding the hole in the corner? Also, a couple notches for flavor(not sure how clean you want them)

You're right, the cleaver is a bit clean. I thought about a hole on the top opposite the cutting edge (like may cleavers have), but I didn't like it. I also created a blade with a very slight curve to it (which is more accurate), but I didn't care for that much either and I thought it was less recognizable as a cleaver. I didn't think of notches, though. That's a good idea. I practice on a bit of plasticard and see how I like it. Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Also, I did a quick search on Chinese cleavers(yes, I may have a problem), and I saw some where the blade comes down in front of the hand. Looks wicked!
Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 pm

CrimsonWraith wrote:
Also, I did a quick search on Chinese cleavers(yes, I may have a problem), and I saw some where the blade comes down in front of the hand. Looks wicked!

Post a pic and I will check it out. I searched and found this:

Longshanks' Workbench Chinese_Cleaver

This looks truly evil and is a chinese cleaver, but I think people would guess hand ax when they saw it rather than cleaver. The rectangular blade is more what I think of when I think chinese cleaver, so for now at least I will stick with that.

EDIT: Reduced the size of the image.
Back to top Go down
wookyd
Knight
Knight
wookyd

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:54 am

Looking forward to seeing these complete!
Back to top Go down
http://adorkindenver.tumblr.com
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 pm

wookyd wrote:
Looking forward to seeing these complete!

Thanks wookyd! Here's the next next update. My Slaughtermaster really needed a necklace to hold his medallion in place.

Longshanks' Workbench FirebellyNecklace
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Is that just some copper rod that you bent to fit it? Its still looking good might I suggest a mr. clean earing on him though!

Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Deadboytat2 wrote:
Is that just some copper rod that you bent to fit it? Its still looking good might I suggest a mr. clean earing on him though!

It's twenty gauge wire that I use for pinning my models with. A earring is not a bad idea, but he already has a really large one, kind of a bone sticking through his ear, on his right ear. It's hard to see in this picture, though, because it's pointing right at the camera.
Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:31 am

I am working on my Mournfangs now, so here are a couple WIPs. The conversions I am doing are so minor that people who don't play Ogre Kingdoms might not even notice them, but I am enjoying doing them all the same.

Here is the first. I decided to replace the dragon skull on the dragonhide banner in the Mournfang set with the skull in the Warhammer Giant box set. It took a little whittling to remove the club it was attached to, but I am pleased with the results.

Longshanks' Workbench DragonhideBannerSmall

I am also doing a popular conversion for the Mournfangs known as the "lowrider" conversion. Many Ogre players don't care for the how high the Mournfang Riders sit in their saddles, so they convert them so that the rider is actually sitting on the Mournfang. Rather than spread the legs apart as I have seen some do, I cut off the feet at the top of the boots and then reattached them and rotated them so that they would fit on the sides of the Mournfang. Of course, I pinned the feet to the legs.

Longshanks' Workbench CrusherLowriderSmall

I have two questions regarding this conversion for anyone reading this. This conversion drops the height of the mini about 3/8" from just over 3" to just under 3". I am concerned that opponents might complain (particularly in a tournament) that this gives me an unfair advantage. I could put them on a tall base that would make up the difference. Here are my questions:

1. Should I worry about this? Perhaps 3/8" is not enough of a difference to really worry about. I would prefer to base all of my Ogres the same way and not have to give the Mournfangs special bases.

2. If I should give the Mournfangs special bases, what kind of bases would you suggest? I have played against opponents with special bases, but I have never paid much attention to them. What would be a good base that raise the Mournfang 3/8" and would not look to different from the sand, talus, and tufts that I plan to give my other bases?

Thanks for the help and I hope you enjoy this rather small WIP.
Back to top Go down
Deadboytat2
Deadboytat2

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I would not worry about it as it was clearly done to make the model look cooler and not for a advantage. Besides its not enough of a drop to make that much of a difference. Not to mention that shooting in WHFB dose not have alot of elevation blocking terrain or things that would go in front of this I.E walls and broken buildings. That would not just conceal the model is its entirety to begin with.

In the short of it you should be fine.

And they look awesome by the way I really like the conversion you did here keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks Edward. The consensus on this and the other couple of forums that I post on is that I shouldn't worry about it. That's good news. Like I wrote previously, I would prefer to base them like the rest of my models.

And more is coming. I have one more small conversion that I will be doing on the Mournfangs. I won't be using their tusks. Instead I will be greenstuffing some fangs over the gap that the tusks are supposed to fit into the mouth, so I will post some pics of that once I do it. And then I can start painting! I have been working on the Ogres for a couple months, so it will be nice when I will have something that I can finally put on the table.
Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 am

Here is a long overdue update on my Ogres. I finished building 1000 points some time ago and then built a giant and my Maneaters. I have just started painting. My Ironblaster was in "chunks" because I wanted to paint hard to reach pieces before I fully assembled it. It is being painted now, so it is not in these pictures.

Longshanks' Workbench OgreArmyTopMedium

Longshanks' Workbench OgreArmyFrontMedium

I really had fun with my Maneater conversions. The hats are from 72 mm models.

Longshanks' Workbench ManeatersFrontMedium

Longshanks' Workbench ManeatersThreeQuarterMedium

The Mournfangs have the famous "lowrider" conversion. I also replaced the tusks with some fangs I made out of greenstuff.

Longshanks' Workbench MournfangConversionMedium

Once the Ironblaster is painted and assembled, I will be ready to play. I will just keep painting the rest of the army.
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Looking good! Any plans for Tacticon? I know its only a couple weeks away, but just wondering if these will make an appearance.
Back to top Go down
longshanks
Plebe
Plebe
longshanks

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 am

CrimsonWraith wrote:
Looking good! Any plans for Tacticon? I know its only a couple weeks away, but just wondering if these will make an appearance.

I hadn't really thought it about it. I should have the Ironblaster done by then. If I threw everything I have built together in an army, it would be over 2250 points, but unfortunately I have way too little Core, so no. I will be at the Con. I plan to come by and check out the tournament.
Back to top Go down
CrimsonWraith
Admin
Wyrd Henchman
AdminWyrd Henchman
CrimsonWraith

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am

I won't be at the fantasy tournament, but maybe I will see you around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longshanks' Workbench   Longshanks' Workbench Empty

Back to top Go down

Longshanks' Workbench
Page 1 of 1